Thursday, February 16, 2012

From Kumbinad - In Loving Memory of our Beloved Thirumeni Appachen


“For I am now ready to be offered and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at the day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing” - 2 Timothy 4:7

The world will remember Dr. Geevarghese Mar Osthathios as a great theologian, orator, spiritual leader and prophet of social justice, but to us in his family he will always be our beloved Thirumeni appachen with a million dollar smile that is so full of warmth and love, a contagious laugh, sweets for everyone, especially children, and the continuous advice to love, share and be unselfish; the way he lived.
 
As the granddaughter of Thirumeni appachen’s younger brother in Mumbai, Mr. P.K. Joshua (late) and Saramma Joshua, I have been blessed to know him since my childhood. One of the songs he taught us children was: 

“Jeevichalum, marichalum, daivam mathram mathi enikke.
Jeevanum maranavum orupole, calvary thannoru van dhairyam”.
 
I never understood the meaning when I learnt it, but now when I teach the same song to my son, David, every line seems to be alive and the meaning so powerful. The cross which is the symbol of God’s love for mankind was his strength and continues to be our inspiration.
 
Another memory that is vivid is that when we were children, Thirumeni appachen would ask me, my brother and cousins what we wanted to become when we grew up and would make us repeat, “I want to become what God wants me to become”. That was his way of making us children understand and always pray “God, may your will be done and not mine”
 
From all the stories I have heard, I know that Thirumeni appachen revered his parents and had a deep love and concern for not only his family members but for mankind, especially the underprivileged and a passion to uplift them. He has also instilled this passion in many who have had the privilege to know and listen to him. We love you and you will continue to live in our hearts, Thirumeni appacha.

- Jenny, Kumbinad
Johnykutty & Leela: Manoj, Jenny & David; Jeby, Leena & Isabel (Kumbanad)

No comments:

Post a Comment