Thursday, February 16, 2012

From Kerala - Give One, Receive Two

As far as I can remember meeting Thirumeni Appacha and visiting him at the seminary, he would support and encourage us to be the best we can be and reward us for being considerate. He would have a packet of toffees ready by his side, and ask either my brother or me, to offer everyone in the room one. And in the end, whoever distributed the sweets would get two. It was a very simple yet profound way of explaining a very lost yet important lesson.

To me this was my most treasured memory and how I remember Thirumeni Appacha. His generous nature and witty humour never ceased to amaze me. I feel extremely privileged and blessed to be his great-grand niece. The only regret that I have is that I was not able to convey how intelligent and well-informed he is with current events. He was very happy to hear that I took up journalism and I feel disappointed that I never got the chance to interview such a dynamic personality. Hopefully, this contribution will make up for what I could not do earlier.

On behalf of myself and my family, I would like to thank him immensely for giving us the greatest gift of all, that is being someone who was unselfish and kind in a world which seems to discourage any kind of charity. We will miss you very much. Your prayers and blessings have been a major part of what I have achieved today, and for that I am truly grateful.


-Shruti, Kerala

No comments:

Post a Comment